We may earn a commission if you buy through some of the links on this page, at no cost to you. Advertising policy
Expedia is one of the largest and best-known online travel agencies. If you’ve recently purchased flights from Expedia, or are planning to do so, you may be wondering if you’re allowed to make itinerary changes, and if so, what it will cost.
Rest assured, we’ve got you covered: this brief guide explains Expedia’s flight change policies, fees, and how to quickly make the itinerary changes online. It also explains what to do when the airline or Expedia changes your flight.
Do you need to cancel Expedia flights or use an Expedia flight credit? If you have questions about Expedia flight cancellation policies and fees, you can find the answers here. We’ve also got information on how use a flight credit from Expedia.
Can I change my flight if I booked through Expedia?
Expedia’s flight change policy allows any alterations to your flight tickets that are also allowed by the airline(s) on your trip itinerary. If the change is OK with the airline, it’s OK with Expedia. The fastest and easiest way to change Expedia flights is online.
The airline rules that govern things like flight changes and cancellations are known as fare rules. You can find the fare rules for your flights in your Expedia itinerary.
Can I change my Expedia flight within 24 hours?
You can effectively change Expedia flights within 24 hours for free by taking advantage of the online travel agency’s free 24-hour cancellation policy. Since this policy allows for a full refund for flights cancelled within 24 hours of purchase, simply cancel the flights, request the refund, then book new flights.
Be aware that it may take 7-10 days or longer for the refund for the original purchase to be credited to your bank or card account.
How do Expedia flight changes work?
You can change the date, time, departure city, or destination city for most flights purchased from Expedia. The new flight tickets can only be issued for the same passenger(s) on the same airline(s). If the new flights are more expensive, you’ll have to pay the difference. The airline(s) you’re booked with may charge a change fee depending on the fare rules that apply to your ticket.
Fees and charges
How much does Expedia charge to change flights?
Expedia doesn’t charge a fee for flight changes or rebookings. However, if the airline you’re booked with does assess a rebooking fee, Expedia will pass it along to you. Whether you have to pay a fee or not depends on the type of fare you purchased. The amount the airline charges for flight changes depends on – you guessed it – the fare rules for your tickets.
You can change your Expedia flights for free in the sense that Expedia itself doesn’t charge a fee for this service. However, the airline you’re booked with may assess a fee depending on the type of fare purchased; the amount the airline charges for flight changes depends on – you guessed it – the fare rules in your itinerary. Even if there are no fees associated with changing your flights, you’ll have to pay the difference if the new fare is more than the original.
How do I change Expedia flights?
You can change most Expedia flights online through the Trips portal. If you don’t see the option to cancel flights online, you’ll need to contact Expedia.
- Locate and select the reservation you wish to change.
- Review the airline fare rules, restrictions, and fees so you know what to expect.
- If available, click “Change Flights”.
- Search for and select new flights.
- If your reservation is on a low-cost airline like Frontier or Spirit, you may need to contact them airline directly.
Why did Expedia change my flight?
If Expedia made changes to your flight schedule without your authorization or a request from you, it’s because the airline schedule changed. Expedia refers to such alterations as “airline-initiated schedule changes”, and they are beyond Expedia’s control.
Despite what you may have read on the internet, Expedia is not in the habit of making random changes to flights. The online travel agency also does not purposely change flights to make more money.
What to do if Expedia changes your flight
1. Expedia offers single airline and multi-airline itineraries. Go to Trips to see which airline(s) you’re booked with.
2. If you flight is on a low-cost / discount airline, you’ll need to contact them directly.
3. If your booking is on a full-service airline, Expedia will work with the airline to find you a similar flight. Expedia will notify you through its app, email, or text you the new flight information. For urgent (for example, same-day) changes, Expedia may also call you.
4. If necessary, follow the instructions to confirm the new flights. Once the new flights are confirmed with you and the airline, Expedia will email you your revised itinerary.
5. If the airline made a significant schedule change and/or significantly delays a flight and you choose not to travel, you’re entitled to a full refund.
- Can I cancel Travelocity flights and get a refund?
- How to Cancel or Change Flights Purchased from Orbitz
- Is It Better to Book Flights with an Online Travel Agency or the Airline?
- Know Your Rights: Free 24 Hour Flight Cancellation for Flights Departing from the USA
- Cancel Delta Air Lines Flights within 24 Hours of Purchase for a Full Refund
- Delta Air Lines 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
- More air travel tips
- See what else we’re posting about Expedia
- Subscribe for travel tips and deals