This page may contain links from which we earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no cost to you. We rely on this income to operate this site. If you use an ad blocker, please consider making a small donation instead. Thank you for your support. Advertising policy
Expedia is one of the largest and best-known online travel agencies. If you’ve recently purchased flights from Expedia, or are planning to do so, you may be wondering if you’re allowed to make itinerary changes, and if so, what it will cost. Rest assured, we’ve got you covered: this brief guide explains Expedia’s flight change policies, fees, and how to quickly make the itinerary changes online.
The information here is for self-initiated changes. If Expedia changed your flight and you need to know what to do, see this article instead.
Need to cancel Expedia flights or use an Expedia flight credit? If you need to cancel your flights or have questions about Expedia flight cancellation policies and fees, you can find the answers here. We’ve also got you covered if you need to use a flight credit from Expedia.
Can I change my flight if I booked through Expedia?
Expedia’s flight change policy allows any alterations to your flight tickets that are also allowed by the airline(s) on your trip itinerary. If the change is OK with the airline, it’s OK with Expedia. The fastest and easiest way to change Expedia flights is online.
The airline rules that govern things like flight changes and cancellations are known as fare rules. You can find the fare rules for your flights in your Expedia itinerary.
Can I change my Expedia flight within 24 hours?
You can effectively change Expedia flights within 24 hours for free by taking advantage of the online travel agency’s free 24-hour cancellation policy. Since this policy allows for a full refund for flights cancelled within 24 hours of purchase, simply cancel the flights, request the refund, then book new flights.
Be aware that it may take 7-10 days or longer for the refund for the original purchase to be credited to your bank or card account.
How do Expedia flight changes work?
You can change the date, time, departure city, or destination city for most flights purchased from Expedia. The new flight tickets can only be issued for the same passenger(s) on the same airline(s). If the new flights are more expensive, you’ll have to pay the difference. The airline(s) you’re booked with may charge a change fee depending on the fare rules that apply to your ticket.
Fees and charges
How much does Expedia charge to change flights?
Expedia doesn’t charge a fee for flight changes or rebookings. However, if the airline you’re booked with does assess a rebooking fee, Expedia will pass it along to you. Whether you have to pay a fee or not depends on the type of fare you purchased. The amount the airline charges for flight changes depends on – you guessed it – the fare rules for your tickets.
You can change your Expedia flights for free in the sense that Expedia itself doesn’t charge a fee for this service. However, the airline you’re booked with may assess a fee depending on the type of fare purchased; the amount the airline charges for flight changes depends on – you guessed it – the fare rules in your itinerary. Even if there are no fees associated with changing your flights, you’ll have to pay the difference if the new fare is more than the original.
How do I change Expedia flights?
- Log in to your Expedia account, or start here and select “Change your trip”.
- Locate and select the reservation you wish to change.
- Review the airline fare rules, restrictions, and fees so you know what to expect.
- Can I cancel Travelocity flights and get a refund?
- How to Cancel or Change Flights Purchased from Orbitz
- Is It Better to Book Flights with an Online Travel Agency or the Airline?
- Know Your Rights: Free 24 Hour Flight Cancellation for Flights Departing from the USA
- Cancel Delta Air Lines Flights within 24 Hours of Purchase for a Full Refund
- Delta Air Lines 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
- More air travel tips
- See what else we’re posting about Expedia
- Subscribe for travel tips and deals
Was this article helpful?
We hope you're satisfied with the quality of this article or post. If so, please consider paying an amount that you feel is fair for the content consumed. If not, please contact us to let us know what we can improve.
Why are we asking for this?
- We don't place our content behind a paywall. We believe the internet should be as free and open as possible.
- If you use ad blockers, this restricts our ability to produce revenue from display ads and affiliate links.
- To make your experience better, we limit the types and amounts of display ads we allow on our site.
- Operating a fast, reliable website with quality content is both costly and time-consuming. Your donation helps us to defray some of these costs and develop new content.
Help us keep the internet free. Use this link or the button below to make a secure donation via PayPal.
We appreciate any amount you're willing to pay. Please note that donations are not tax deductible and are non-refundable.